How to perform Windows Update for Exchange 2013 DAG Cluster
Install Windows Update on Exchange Client Access Server (CAS) follow by Exchange Mailbox Server
- Perform Windows Update on the 1st Exchange CAS Server and reboot.
- Verify Exchange Services are started and running prior repeating the step 1 on 2nd Exchange CAS Server
Get-Service | ? Name -like "MSExchange*" Status Name DisplayName ------ ---- ----------- Running MSExchangeADTop... Microsoft Exchange Active Directory... Running MSExchangeDiagn... Microsoft Exchange Diagnostics Running MSExchangeFront... Microsoft Exchange Frontend Transport Running MSExchangeHM Microsoft Exchange Health Manager Stopped MSExchangeImap4 Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 Running MSExchangePop3 Microsoft Exchange POP3 Running MSExchangeServi... Microsoft Exchange Service Host Running MSExchangeUMCR Microsoft Exchange Unified Messagin...
Login to 2nd Exchange 2013 Mailbox Server
- Run the following in PowerShell ISE to connect to Exchange 2013 PowerShell
#Connect to Exchange 2013 in PowerShell ISE . 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\bin\RemoteExchange.ps1' Connect-ExchangeServer -auto
- Verify the status of all mailbox databases are either in Mounted or Healthy and there is no error in ContentIndex Length
- Move all the active mailbox databases to 1st Exchange 2013 Server and wait for the status of ContentIndex Length to be Healthy. Perform Windows Update on 2nd Exchange 2013 Server and reboot the server if prompted.
#Move Mailbox Database $ActiveServer = "IB-MBX01" Move-ActiveMailboxDatabase "UAT" -ActivateOnServer $ActiveServer
- Login to 2nd Exchange Server to verify there is no error on mailbox databases and move all active mailbox database to 1st Exchange Server (referring to step2 & step3)
- Install Windows Update and reboot the 1st Exchange 2013 Server.
- Perform step 2 on 1st Exchange Server to verify all mailbox databases are in good condition